Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 22, 2024

QT 8/22/2024 Eccl 5, Sincere prayer sounds different

Ecclesiastes 5:1–3 (ESV)

1 Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. To draw near to listen is better than to offer the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they are doing evil. 2 Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few. 3 For a dream comes with much business, and a fool’s voice with many words.

 

NOTE: Again, the perspective is "under the sun" or without a true love for God. I see this verse regularly repeated and it communicates "religion" every time. A person drones-on in prayer in public. I wonder if they drone-on in private too or even if they pray in private. People show up in prayer meetings and pray aloud too often to be seen, and they seem to think more words will help. I would rather be a person of few words than one who says meaningless things over and over. On the other hand, prayers that start and end as "bless this person, and bless that person" are equally worthless. I prefer we would be specific and to the point. Maybe, I am the real problem, but I think too many prayers are insincere.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I pray publicly to be seen?
  2. Do I pray to God or to the audience?

 

PRAYER: Father, change my heart. I know I am cynical to some who may know no better. They've watched others over the years and repeat what they think is the best way to pray. The heart is the most important thing and only you know the heart's true motives.

No comments:

Post a Comment