Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 1, 2024

QT 8/1/2024 Prov 21:1; 21:31, Trusting God for the results while preparing for the best

Proverbs 21:1 (ESV) —

1 The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord;

he turns it wherever he will.

Proverbs 21:31 (ESV) —

31 The horse is made ready for the day of battle,

but the victory belongs to the Lord.

 

NOTE: Kings and people have free will. Most of the time, as least as I understand Rom 8:28, God works is after the fact, ex post facto. God takes men's actions, and brings good out of the situation for a believer. But sometimes, God intervenes in a way that appears to contradict our free will. Maybe it is persuasion, maybe it is some other means, but God can intervene in very subtle ways. Ultimately, God's will is achieve, although it may not feel that way at the time.

 

So, how are we to react to these verses. First, we should pray for God to turn the heart of the king (ruler, mayor, boss, president, commander, professor, etc.). Second, we need to act prudently. Expecting to go to war without preparing your weapons is foolishness. But believing that you will win because you are so prepared is also foolishness. I've had heard people say that "you work as if everything depended on you, and you pray knowing that everything depends on God." (I may have changed the saying to more accurately fit my view of God's will).

 

What are the battles or events that I am facing? What can I do to prepare? And what am I praying to happen?

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I preparing?
  2. Am I praying?

 

PRAYER: Father, I have seen this principle many times in my life. And I am constantly reminded to be prudent and to pray. I will seek to do my part and I will seek you for your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment