Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, August 15, 2024

QT 8/15/2024 Prov 31:2-9, Abusing riches

Proverbs 31:2–9 (ESV)

2 What are you doing, my son? What are you doing, son of my womb?

What are you doing, son of my vows?

3 Do not give your strength to women,

your ways to those who destroy kings.

4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel,

it is not for kings to drink wine,

or for rulers to take strong drink,

5 lest they drink and forget what has been decreed

and pervert the rights of all the afflicted.

6 Give strong drink to the one who is perishing,

and wine to those in bitter distress;

7 let them drink and forget their poverty

and remember their misery no more.

8 Open your mouth for the mute,

for the rights of all who are destitute.

9 Open your mouth, judge righteously,

defend the rights of the poor and needy.

 

NOTE: Chapter 31 are a collections of wise sayings from the mother of King Lemuel. Not much is known about Lemuel. Some think he was a king of Massa, a north Arabian tribe. Still, the passage is interesting because is a collection of wise sayings from a woman.

 

Monarchies might be considerably different, and still around today in power, if Kings were required to read the proverbs each day of their life. Not only while they were kings but as they were growing up and preparing for rule. Most of the stories of Monarchs reflect on their abuse of power revolving around mistresses and drink. Consequently, they forgot the rights of the destitute, poor, and needy. They focused on making their rich friends richer.

 

While they are few monarchs with actual power today, they are many super rich (and rich-want-to-be's) who could benefit from reading the same words. How do I use my wealth? What actions do I take for the homeless, poor, and needy? And combining with yesterday's passage, when is giving too much? Can you help someone to the point of hurt (where they become conditioned to "leeching")?

 

PONDER:

  1. What am I doing to help the poor?
  2. How can I fit service to the poor into my schedule on some regular basis?

 

PRAYER: Father, family obligations have eaten up a lot of my free time. The things I planned to do are not as I hoped. Help me to find a balance between service to my family and service to my community. Give me grace and wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment