Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, July 6, 2018

QT 6 Jul 18, 2 Tim 1:13, Our degree of spirituality is not based on vocation but on willingness to know God


Week
Passage
Date
Verse
Thought
Prayer
10
2 Tim 1:8-18
7/6
2 Timothy 1:13 (ESV) — Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
I am always a little amazed at Paul's speech when he asks people to follow his example. My amazement is that I am not sure I could make the same claim. A religious person would answer, "well, of course you are not the Apostle Paul, the saint, the leader of the Gentile church." But the reasoning behind that way of thinking is based on a faulty assumption that the clergy are different from the laity--they are not. They may have a "calling," but spiritually there is no difference. Every child of God can have the same deep intense spiritual relationship with God as the most devout member of the clergy. News flash: your pastor is no different from you in almost every matter of life and especially spiritual things. He does get paid to spend time in the word of God, and that can contribute to a difference, but it does not have to.
Father, we are so stupid to think of spirituality as defined by position. Spirituality is the result of seeking you in spirit and truth. We can all know you and live for you in a manner worthy of you. We just need to choose. Help me to be that man in everything I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment