Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

QT 2 Jul 19, 2 Chron 26:5, Pride is such an insidious sin


2 Chronicles 26:5 (ESV) — He set himself to seek God in the days of Zechariah, who instructed him in the fear of God, and as long as he sought the Lord, God made him prosper.

2 Chronicles 26:15b–16a (ESV) —
15 …. And his fame spread far, for he was marvelously helped, till he was strong.
16 But when he was strong, he grew proud, to his destruction. …

NOTE: These first 16 verses of chapter 26 tell the story of a man who started out well, but he was upended by his pride. He really was an amazing person, Uzziah. He sought the Lord. He grew in his relationship with God. He accomplished quite a bit. He was an innovator with the use of machines on the castle walls to repel invaders. He restored the inventory of weapons and shields. Basically, he was a very smart and wise person, and consequently prospered. But, he started to think too highly of himself, his skill, his intelligence, his knowledge, and his ability. And he started doing the wrong things. This is us -- this is me. What is the wrong thing? Well, for me, it could be my response to a person or a question. It could be irritability because someone doesn't understand or believe me. It could be a haughtiness in my countenance. It could simply be my facial features in talking to someone.

PRAYER: Lord, protect me from my pride. It has consistently been the destroyer of my life. I really want to be gracious to everyone. They don't have to believe me or even follow my suggested application or idea. Nothing in life is that important other than outright sin which can destroy the soul. Give me a gentleness and a respect for all people in my interactions. May I, like Jesus, consider others more important than myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment