Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

QT 30 Jul 19, 2 Chron 26:14-15 (2 Chron 36:1-16), The end is truly near


2 Chronicles 36:14–15 (ESV) —
14 All the officers of the priests and the people likewise were exceedingly unfaithful, following all the abominations of the nations. And they polluted the house of the Lord that he had made holy in Jerusalem.
15 The Lord, the God of their fathers, sent persistently to them by his messengers, because he had compassion on his people and on his dwelling place.

NOTE: These last 16 verses describe four kings that immediately followed Josiah. It is pretty clear that Josiah's efforts were temporary. The people and especially the leaders quickly fall back into patterns of sin. The end is indeed near. Jeremiah and other prophets attempt to stem the wound, but are ignored, ridiculed, and even imprisoned for suggesting Jerusalem's actions were wrong. In tomorrow's passage, God destroys Jerusalem and takes most of the remaining people to Babylon. I wonder how close we are to the end. God has given us godly leaders in the past, and he has also given us ungodly leaders. He has even given ungodly leaders who at least show wisdom in their leading, although not in their personal lives. How close are we to the end? I fear we are very close to the end. We all need to repent. We need to live holy lives. We need to worship God and not the idols of this life. It is very difficult to imagine that there is much time remaining before the tribulation. Are we living as if the years are short? Paul was, although, unknown to him, the end was over 2000 years in the future.

PRAYER: Father, I hold little hope for my nation and its culture. In the days that are left, I pray to live a holy and godly life. I pray to have an impact on those around me. I pray that I would continue to make disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment