Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 29, 2019

QT 29 Jul 19, 2 Chron 35:21-22 (2 Chron 35:20-27), God is sovereign does not mean all things are his actions


2 Chronicles 35:21–22 (ESV) — 21 But he sent envoys to him, saying, “What have we to do with each other, king of Judah? I am not coming against you this day, but against the house with which I am at war. And God has commanded me to hurry. Cease opposing God, who is with me, lest he destroy you.” 22 Nevertheless, Josiah did not turn away from him, but disguised himself in order to fight with him. He did not listen to the words of Neco from the mouth of God, but came to fight in the plain of Megiddo.

NOTE: This is a difficult passage. First of all, Josiah is not condemned anywhere in scripture for his action. It is likely that at this time, Josiah ruled all the land of Israel, and not just Judah, so Neco did transverse his land. Neco produced nothing to validate his claim as a prophet of God. Was it a necessary war? No, he could have let Neco cross, so we might call it unjust. Why does not God save him? Was it because he disguised himself? Not necessarily. In fact, God does not interject himself in all the affairs of men, just the ones that are peculiar to his will. God is sovereign, but that does not mean he interferes in all activities; it only means that he could if he wished. For believers, the bible does promise that God works for the good in all things, but that does not say he is the cause of all things. They are two different things.

PRAYER: Father, I do trust that you will intervene if it is absolutely necessary to your will, but that most of your work in my life and my family is bringing good out of the events and circumstances of our lives. Help us to learn and to be receptive to your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment