Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

QT 31 Jul 19, 2 Chron 36:20-21 (2 Chron 36:17-23), We are called to obey from the heart


2 Chronicles 36:20–21 (ESV) —
20 He took into exile in Babylon those who had escaped from the sword, and they became servants to him and to his sons until the establishment of the kingdom of Persia, 21 to fulfill the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed its Sabbaths. All the days that it lay desolate it kept Sabbath, to fulfill seventy years.

NOTE: The destruction of Jerusalem and the temple represents the fulfillment of promises (curses) laid out in Deuteronomy for failure to obey. The length of the departure from the land corresponds to a number representing failed Sabbaths. The number is probably associated with the Sabbath years (every seventh), but it very well could represent all Sabbaths since the nation was founded long enough to accumulate the required Sabbaths. In either case, both actions are the result of failure to obey God (the casting out of the land and the length of time they are cast out). God's message is very clear -- "I demand obedience." But it is not just obedience, in fact, it is the heart that is more important than the actions. Later God will say that he abhors their sacrifices (which are actions of obedience) because there is no heart associated with the action. Jesus' summary of the entire law -- Love God and Love your neighbor -- essentially reiterates the same point. God expects obedience that issues out of a loving heart.

PRAYER: Father, may I never obey just for the sake of the action. I want to obey your law in Spirit as much as in deed. I am under the OT Law, but I am under the Law of Christ. I desire to obey. I desire greatly to be responsive to your prodding of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment