Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 22, 2019

QT 22 Jul 19, 2 Chron 33:23 (2 Chron 33:21-25), We need wisdom (but only the wise seem to understand the fact)


2 Chronicles 33:23 (ESV) — And he did not humble himself before the Lord, as Manasseh his father had humbled himself, but this Amon incurred guilt more and more.

NOTE: Israel is in quite a yo-yo: up and down, up and down. Except the last time, the up and down occurred in the same reign of the King, Manasseh. Amon was foolish and young--the young often are foolish. Wisdom is indeed available to all, but the aged seem to acquire it in greater quantities. So how does a man acquire wisdom when he is young since he lacks the apparently prerequisite requirements of experience? I am not sure it is possible, at least not to the degree one would like. The book of Proverbs suggests God's law, and while true, it does not completely substitute for experience, but rather augments and completes experience with truth. Listening to elders is also useful, provided they are not fools, but men who deeply love God. And prayer, because God promises to give wisdom to those who ask. So three things are needed for the young man to gain wisdom (and for the old as well): saturation in God's word, godly counsel, and prayer. Which is all very easy to say, but it takes a "wise" man to make those choices -- ahh, a conundrum (what comes first?).

PRAYER: Father, I ask for wisdom in my life. I need wisdom to counsel others. I need wisdom to make good choices for myself and family. I need wisdom to lead others. I just need your wisdom. Teach me through your word. Help me to see the difference between worldly wisdom and godly wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment