Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, July 8, 2019

QT 8 Jul 19, 2 Chron 28:22-23, Do we trust God, or foolishly try to do it our way


2 Chronicles 28:22–23 (ESV) — 22 In the time of his distress he became yet more faithless to the Lord—this same King Ahaz. 23 For he sacrificed to the gods of Damascus that had defeated him and said, “Because the gods of the kings of Syria helped them, I will sacrifice to them that they may help me.” But they were the ruin of him and of all Israel.

NOTE: Pain, suffering, distress, and other forces can have one of two effects. They can draw a person closer to God or they can push a person farther from God. It depends upon the person and their faith. A person of faith will take shelter under the wings of the almighty. A person, who does not really have faith, will search for remedies outside of God. To some degree, this is because they desire to be in control. To submit and trust in the one and only God requires a person to let go of themselves and serve God. Other ways to deal with pain, outside of trust in God, give the appearance of remaining in control of one's destiny. But that actually is an illusion. God is always in control and sovereign independent of any person's response to him. His actions may change, but his control is not changed.

PRAYER: Father, I don't want to respond like Ahaz did. I don't want to be the one who takes control. But, in the moment of pain, I'm not that much different from Ahaz. Protect me. Guide me. I do desire to submit my will to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment