Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

QT 24 Jul 19, 2 Chron 34:19, 21(2 Chron 34:8-21), Repent and DO! All else is failure.


2 Chronicles 34:19 (ESV) — And when the king heard the words of the Law, he tore his clothes.
2 Chronicles 34:21 (ESV) — “Go, inquire of the Lord for me and for those who are left in Israel and in Judah, concerning the words of the book that has been found. For great is the wrath of the Lord that is poured out on us, because our fathers have not kept the word of the Lord, to do according to all that is written in this book.”

NOTE: A book of the law has been found in the temple during the renovation. In our age, it is hard to imagine how a book could be lost and forgotten. But they did not have Kindles or printing presses. We are not sure what book was lost, or if the entire Pentateuch was lost, but given the King's response, it was most likely Deuteronomy (and many scholars agree). Why do I think Deuteronomy? Again, given Josiah's response, it seems as if they read Deuteronomy Chapter 28. Josiah now responds in two ways, and these two ways are still the best response to the word of God today. One, Josiah heard the word and tore his clothes -- his heart was touched and repentance overtook him. He would have been a failure if he had stopped there, an emotional response to the hearing. Two, his next step was to go to God and figure out what he needed to do. He realized that they had not been doing the word. He did not just hear it, but he took steps to apply it. This is the single greatest failure of the church today bar none. We hear the word but we don't individually apply it to our lives. We apply it to others in terms of what they "ought" to be doing. But we don't apply it ourselves. We are fools. "But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 1:22 (ESV)"

PRAYER: Father, I pray for myself. As you speak to me, make it clear to me my failures. Help me to develop plans to apply the word of God to my life. Thank you for the IDQs and the emphasis on application. I want to be known as a doer of the Word, and not just a hearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment