Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, October 10, 2022

QT 10/10/2022 1 Sam 1:5-8, What are we living for?

1 Samuel 1:5–8 (ESV) —

5 But to Hannah he gave a double portion, because he loved her, though the Lord had closed her womb. 6 And her rival used to provoke her grievously to irritate her, because the Lord had closed her womb. 7 So it went on year by year. As often as she went up to the house of the Lord, she used to provoke her. Therefore Hannah wept and would not eat. 8 And Elkanah, her husband, said to her, “Hannah, why do you weep? And why do you not eat? And why is your heart sad? Am I not more to you than ten sons?”

 

NOTE: I suppose that there are two main issues here. It is not clear that Elkanah truly understood his wife's pain. His argument, while rationale, is not what she needed. She didn't need extra portions either. She needed someone to empathize with her pain. In some ways Elkanah is also at fault for having two wives. He brought some of the pain upon himself.

 

The second main issue is debatable (some may disagree with me). Some women never have children. I do believe it is good to pray to God and open up one's heart in tears. But, one needs to rejoice in what God has given, otherwise there is always one more thing to brood over. First, it is to marry, then to have children, then for children to get schooling, then to get a good job, and then to have grandchildren. When are we ever satisfied? And for that matter, what does it mean to be satisfied? Should we be satisfied? Should we always yearn for more?

 

At some point, what Elkanah said is partly true -- can we rejoice in what God has given?

 

PONDER:

  1. What should I always yearn for and what should I just rejoice in?

 

PRAYER: Father, you have given me so much. But life does not consist in possessions. Life is about people and relationships. It is more important the number of people I have influenced toward God than the size of my retirement fund. Father, help me to make wise decisions in the days ahead. How do you want to use these last 20-30 years?

No comments:

Post a Comment