Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, October 17, 2022

QT 10/17/2022 1 Sam 2:22-26, We can't blame others for our poor choices

1 Samuel 2:22–26 (ESV) —

22 Now Eli was very old, and he kept hearing all that his sons were doing to all Israel, and how they lay with the women who were serving at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 23 And he said to them, “Why do you do such things? For I hear of your evil dealings from all these people. 24 No, my sons; it is no good report that I hear the people of the Lord spreading abroad. 25 If someone sins against a man, God will mediate for him, but if someone sins against the Lord, who can intercede for him?” But they would not listen to the voice of their father, for it was the will of the Lord to put them to death.

26 Now the boy Samuel continued to grow both in stature and in favor with the Lord and also with man.

 

NOTE: There is a clear contrast given between Samuel and the sons of Eli who would not listen to the voice of their Father. It is common to blame parents for the sins of their children. And, Eli certainly has shown character qualities that would put some blame on him. But you can have terrible parents and turn out great, and great parents and turn out terrible. The prodigal son stories portrays God as the father with two prodigal children (one who actively opposed his father, and the other who passively opposed his father). God created Adam and Eve, and they rebelled against him. Later God refers to Israel and Judah as his daughters who prostituted themselves to other lovers. It doesn't matter who the Father is, a person has free will and makes their own choices. The sons of Eli chose to do evil. They did not care. They were spiritually dead and had always been. And while Fathers can help, it is not our parents who make our choices. We are responsible for our choices.

 

PONDER:

  1. Who do I blame for my circumstances? Or do I take responsibility for my own circumstances? At a minimum, I can choose how to respond.

 

PRAYER: Father, I have responsibility how I live before you. No one makes those decisions. Circumstances are not an excuse. Thankfully, my salvation is secure. When I fail, I need to repent, pick myself up, and go forward again. Holy Spirit, I need your help to avoid my particular weak spots. I could easily be one of Eli's sons, but you have changed me from the inside out. I thank you and praise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment