Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, October 14, 2022

QT 10/14/2022 1 Sam 2:12-17, It's about the heart

1 Samuel 2:12–17 (ESV) —

12 Now the sons of Eli were worthless men. They did not know the Lord. 13 The custom of the priests with the people was that when any man offered sacrifice, the priest’s servant would come, while the meat was boiling, with a three-pronged fork in his hand, 14 and he would thrust it into the pan or kettle or cauldron or pot. All that the fork brought up the priest would take for himself. This is what they did at Shiloh to all the Israelites who came there. 15 Moreover, before the fat was burned, the priest’s servant would come and say to the man who was sacrificing, “Give meat for the priest to roast, for he will not accept boiled meat from you but only raw.” 16 And if the man said to him, “Let them burn the fat first, and then take as much as you wish,” he would say, “No, you must give it now, and if not, I will take it by force.” 17 Thus the sin of the young men was very great in the sight of the Lord, for the men treated the offering of the Lord with contempt.

 

NOTE: As I was reading this passage, I did think that I would like the fat too and not just boiled meat. Apparently the writer includes this description so that the reader can understand the custom of the times (at Shiloh) since it was not normal or biblical. 

 

Leviticus 10:14–15 (ESV) —

14 But the breast that is waved and the thigh that is contributed you shall eat in a clean place, you and your sons and your daughters with you, for they are given as your due and your sons’ due from the sacrifices of the peace offerings of the people of Israel. 15 The thigh that is contributed and the breast that is waved they shall bring with the food offerings of the fat pieces to wave for a wave offering before the Lord, and it shall be yours and your sons’ with you as a due forever, as the Lord has commanded.”

 

Numbers 18:18 (ESV) —

18 But their flesh shall be yours, as the breast that is waved and as the right thigh are yours.

 

There was not a three-pronged fork, random choice, or no-fat rule for the priests (although the fat was burned on the altar, but it did not mean there was no fat on the meat). This is what I call religion, that is, when we add rules to the scripture with the thought that if it is harder it must be better. I think Adam did this to Eve, when he told her that if you even touch the fruit, you will die. God only said not to eat it to Adam. But Adam had to start religion.

 

So if it was not wrong to have un-boiled meat or fat, what are the sons' fault? Their problem was that they did not care what was right or wrong. They treated the offering with contempt. And the root cause is verse 12, they did not know God.

 

In other words, it was an issue of the heart, not so much the actual practice of their so-called faith. And technically, no matter what your practices are, they don't matter. It is an issue of the heart. Your practices (works) can indicate a changed heart, but practices don't cause a changed heart. Only the Holy Spirit, received by faith, can change a heart.

 

PONDER:

  1. Has my heart been changed? Or do I rely upon works for salvation?

 

PRAYER: Father, I fail you in many ways. And yet, I've seen change from the inside out. I know it is not me but your Spirit using the word to change me. Thank you that I am different, not because of anything I've done (other than feed my soul the word) but because of the power of the Holy Spirit in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment