Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

QT 10/19/2022 1 Sam 3:1-3, Spiritual perception

1 Samuel 3:1–3 (ESV) —

1 Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the Lord in the presence of Eli. And the word of the Lord was rare in those days; there was no frequent vision.

2 At that time Eli, whose eyesight had begun to grow dim so that he could not see, was lying down in his own place. 3 The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was.

 

NOTE: When we read and study scripture, good practice is to seek understanding literally or in a common sense view. This is a real story with real characters and real dialogue. It happened just as it is recorded. And yet, it is hard to ignore the symbolism: Samuel tending / or near the lamp of God; Samuel in the temple; Eli going blind; and no one (especially Eli) recognizing that God is speaking. They had religion because religion exists without spiritual recognition. True faith has an object to its faith and can see beyond the surface of things. True faith operates in another dimension, a spiritual dimension. Religion does not require the word of the Lord. It can be rare, even forgotten. True faith demands the regular intake of the word of God, it is the lifeblood. Everything else is show or fake. True faith transforms and changes people. Samuel is about to be transformed.

 

PONDER:

  1. How is the lifeline to my faith? Is the intake of the word of God a priority in my life? Do I allow God's word to change my thinking?

 

PRAYER: Father, I need this daily time with you. I don't want to play religion. I want to live in a relationship with you that completely transforms who I am and who I will be. Lead me and guide me. Protect me from my flesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment