Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, October 24, 2022

QT 10/24/2022 1 Sam 4:19-22, The glory departed long ago

1 Samuel 4:19–22 (ESV) —

19 Now his daughter-in-law, the wife of Phinehas, was pregnant, about to give birth. And when she heard the news that the ark of God was captured, and that her father-in-law and her husband were dead, she bowed and gave birth, for her pains came upon her. 20 And about the time of her death the women attending her said to her, “Do not be afraid, for you have borne a son.” But she did not answer or pay attention. 21 And she named the child Ichabod, saying, “The glory has departed from Israel!” because the ark of God had been captured and because of her father-in-law and her husband. 22 And she said, “The glory has departed from Israel, for the ark of God has been captured.”

 

NOTE: Phinehas' wife was wrong. The glory had departed from Israel long before the ark was captured. Eli and his two sons had failed Israel miserably. The events only serve to highlight how tragic the Elide dynasty had been. The best thing that could have happened did. God was starting over with the leadership. He had been preparing a new man to lead the nation during a particular time of transition. God knew monarchy was coming. It would not serve Israel much better than theocratic judges had, although it would last a little longer. Ultimately the true need was that the temple reside in the heart and not on a piece of land. We can look back and see how this story and others lead to the Messiah, his death, and the Holy Spirit who resides in the heart of ever believer. And most importantly, the need for the fruit of the Spirit to bear forth in every surrendered believer. Only then can we and the world see the glory again.

 

PONDER:

  1. Is my life different because of my faith?
  2. Does my life reflect the glory of God to others? If the glory departed, then it never entered.

 

PRAYER: Father, as I seek you, continue to produce the fruit in my life through your Holy Spirit that gives me an attractive witness to others. Help me to understand your purpose for my life in these years. Is a new thing happening? Help me to see your will and to act upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment