Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, October 13, 2022

QT 10/13/2022 1 Sam 2:7-8, Understanding God's sovereignty

1 Samuel 2:7–8 (ESV) —

7 The Lord makes poor and makes rich;

he brings low and he exalts.

8 He raises up the poor from the dust;

he lifts the needy from the ash heap

to make them sit with princes

and inherit a seat of honor.

For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s,

and on them he has set the world.

 

NOTE: Who and what we are, at least from a worldly point of view is God's doing. And even right choices that we might make, are augmented by the Spirit, and by the Spirit result in a changed lifestyle. We can pray. We can try. But God is the final arbiter. But how much does he really arbitrate? Wicked men make decisions that appear to bring them much success. Evil appears to be winning. And in the end times, the saints (the tribulation saints) will be trampled down. So, while God is sovereign, he does not intervene in all situations. He allows what does not interfere with his will and he allows what he can use to bring about good in the lives of believers. When he does intervene, it is to accomplish his will, in response to our prayers, or because there is some good in our life that is needed. Ultimately, we must trust God even when his hand seems to be missing.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I trust God when things are not going the way or my prayers or desires are not being met?

 

PRAYER: Father, today lead and guide me by your spirit. Help me to see your hand. Help me to understand you will. Make your work clear. Protect me from my sinful desires. May I put your work and your will ahead of my desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment