Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, October 18, 2022

QT 10/18/2022 1 Sam 2:30-34, We need sensitive hearts

1 Samuel 2:30–34 (ESV) —

30 Therefore the Lord, the God of Israel, declares: ‘I promised that your house and the house of your father should go in and out before me forever,’ but now the Lord declares: ‘Far be it from me, for those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 31 Behold, the days are coming when I will cut off your strength and the strength of your father’s house, so that there will not be an old man in your house. 32 Then in distress you will look with envious eye on all the prosperity that shall be bestowed on Israel, and there shall not be an old man in your house forever. 33 The only one of you whom I shall not cut off from my altar shall be spared to weep his eyes out to grieve his heart, and all the descendants of your house shall die by the sword of men. 34 And this that shall come upon your two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, shall be the sign to you: both of them shall die on the same day.

 

NOTE: In the story of Jonah, one of Jonah's complaints was that God was merciful and forgiving. Jonah did not want to warn Nineveh, because he was afraid they would repent. Nineveh was the capital city of the nation that had destroyed the northern ten tribes. Was it possible that there was still time for Eli and his sons to repent? Yes. Did they? There is no record of anything to suggest that they repented or changed their lifestyles. His two sons do die in a battle on the same day, and Eli, a very heavy man, upon hearing the news, falls over and breaks his neck.

 

We need to repent when our sin is revealed to us. We must never give up on repentance and forgiveness. We are weak and our flesh will never improve, but the Holy Spirit can change us if we do not give up on him.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I given up on certain sins? Or do I sincerely confess and repent of my sins every time?

 

PRAYER: Father, it is important our hearts remain sensitive to the Holy Spirit and his work in our lives. I pray that you protect me from a hardened heart. I pray that your spirit would search me and reveal to me my sin, especially those things that I am not even aware. I want to be a clean vessel for your use.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment