Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

QT 10/12/2022 1 Sam 1:27-28, Letting go of our children

1 Samuel 1:27–28 (NIV84) —

27 I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. 28 So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.” And he worshiped the Lord there.

 

NOTE: Hannah's response, her fulfillment of her vow, was to "give over" her son to the Lord's service. Some versions use the word "lent" but I don't think that conveys the right thought. Studying the word and its roots, a better understanding is "to set apart something for sacred uses." Samuel wasn't "lent" with the idea of getting him back. Samuel was dedicated to the Lord's service. It is clear too in Hannah's statement that she thought that way too, "his whole life will be given over." How could you "lend" someone for their whole life?

 

When we dedicate our children, this should be our attitude in any case. We don't control their future. And we don't make their adult choices. God is their father, and they must deal with him in the choices they make. We need to let go of our adult children.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I let go of my adult children or am I out there constantly fixing their mistakes?

 

PRAYER: Father, I don't want to interfere with your work in my children's lives. I want to pray for them. I want to be a support. I want to be a coach to the degree they desire. But I need to let them be adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment