Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, September 1, 2023

QT 9/1/2023 Ezek 34:1-10, The requirements of leadership

Ezekiel 34:1–7, 10 (ESV) —

1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy, and say to them, even to the shepherds, Thus says the Lord God: Ah, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep? 3 You eat the fat, you clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fat ones, but you do not feed the sheep. 4 The weak you have not strengthened, the sick you have not healed, the injured you have not bound up, the strayed you have not brought back, the lost you have not sought, and with force and harshness you have ruled them. 5 So they were scattered, because there was no shepherd, and they became food for all the wild beasts. My sheep were scattered; 6 they wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill. My sheep were scattered over all the face of the earth, with none to search or seek for them.

. . . 10 Thus says the Lord God, Behold, I am against the shepherds, and I will require my sheep at their hand and put a stop to their feeding the sheep. No longer shall the shepherds feed themselves. I will rescue my sheep from their mouths, that they may not be food for them.

 

NOTE: The shepherds of Israel are primarily Israel rulers, but many groups fall into this category. It is not just the rulers, but the spiritual leaders (pastors), the teachers, (in today's parlance) the elders, and the deacons. The problem is that instead of helping the sheep, these shepherds primary responsibility was to themselves. Secondly, they took advantage of the sheep, and ignored their needs. They ruled them like a bully, instead of exercising meekness, humility, and gentleness. Consequently, the sheep left (scattered) and the wild animals (Satan's forces) took advantage of the situation and made the sheep's situation worse, if not destroyed them. Lastly, these shepherds have not sought out the sheep. Why? Because the shepherds did not really care for the sheep.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I seek to help the sheep or am I more interested in self?
  2. Am I interested in the sheep's welfare? Do I know what is going on in their life?
  3. Do I treat the sheep with humility, gentleness, and kindness, only using the staff when it is absolutely necessary?
  4. Do I care about the sheep and is that reflected in my prayers?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for this reminder that I have a responsibility to the sheep you have placed in my care, both my Sunday class, my two IDGs, my previous IDGs, and the new group of leaders who will be leading IDGs. I am a shepherd. I have always know that. I need to do the things a shepherd does.

No comments:

Post a Comment