Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

QT 9/12/2023 Ezek 37:11-14, We will be called crazy for believing what others do not want to believe

Ezekiel 37:11–14 (ESV) —

11 Then he said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Behold, they say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are indeed cut off.’ 12 Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I will open your graves and raise you from your graves, O my people. And I will bring you into the land of Israel. 13 And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people. 14 And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I am the Lord; I have spoken, and I will do it, declares the Lord.”

 

NOTE: This passage is very specific to Israel, the nation, and Israel's land. The church does not fulfill these verses, although the church is seeing "a present realization of the promises."1 Israel rejected the Messiah, but Israel will see a future fulfillment for "ethnic Israel."2 It is clearly symbolic and fits with many other passages prophesying the renewed Spirit and heart that God will give to his people. It won't happen until the end of the tribulation period when a great awakening will transform the last of the spiritually dead. In the millennial kingdom, all the land promises will be finally fulfilled to Israel.

 

We (the church) are a kind of first fruits that should have been Israel, but Israel's rejection created the church age, and allowed the Gentiles to experience the new birth (always the goal of the New Covenant). I wonder if we fully appreciate our position, especially as the days grow short. The world thinks we are crazy, not for rationale reasons, but because they don't want to believe.

 

Recently, a close friend was sharing her belief in the rapture with another. A relative, sitting nearby, overheard the conversation, and asked them if they believed that God would come and only take those who believed in Jesus to heaven. When they said yes, she replied, "that’s' scary that you believe that."

 

Actually, the problem is not that a person can believe that God can do that, but that a person can believe that God does not exist or God could never do that. But then again, the real issue is that we don't want to believe in Jesus.

 

1 Chisolm, Handbook on the Prophets

2 Ibid

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I prepared to stand up for the hope I have within me, … with gentleness and respect, … to a world who thinks I am crazy?

 

PRAYER: Father, when those times happen that I am questioned for my belief, help me to respond, not in a sarcastic manner, but in a kind, gentle, and well-thought through manner.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment