Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

QT 9/19/2023 Ezekiel 40, A new temple for animal sacrifices

Ezekiel 40:1–4 (ESV) —

1 In the twenty-fifth year of our exile, at the beginning of the year, on the tenth day of the month, in the fourteenth year after the city was struck down, on that very day, the hand of the Lord was upon me, and he brought me to the city. 2 In visions of God he brought me to the land of Israel, and set me down on a very high mountain, on which was a structure like a city to the south. 3 When he brought me there, behold, there was a man whose appearance was like bronze, with a linen cord and a measuring reed in his hand. And he was standing in the gateway. 4 And the man said to me, “Son of man, look with your eyes, and hear with your ears, and set your heart upon all that I shall show you, for you were brought here in order that I might show it to you. Declare all that you see to the house of Israel.”

 

NOTE: This is a large building that Ezekiel measures and describes. Most people believe it is a temple to be used in the Messianic age. A new covenant would seem to exist if there is a new temple and the use of animal sacrifices. Jesus' death is sufficient for all time and there is no need for another sacrifice, so this building and the animal sacrifices seem to have another use. The best explanation I have heard is that this is similar to communion. The sacrifices remind the people of both the old system and the new system. It is a memorial practice like communion is a memorial of Jesus' death for us. Is it only for Israel or for all people of the age? I don't know. Why is it needed? I don't know.

 

One thing that is obvious, is that in today's culture, animals are placed on the same level as man. God does want us to take care of animals and not be cruel, but animals do not have souls, and this practice seems to be a reminder to a culture that sees animal sacrifice on the level of murder, that animals are not humans. We are not evolved from animals. We are created, and animals were created for a different reason and purpose.

 

Most of the people of earth and most of the animals will die during the tribulation as a result of God's judgment on man for his sins. Maybe this is a reminder of the severe penalty of death for disobedience to a post-tribulation society.

 

PONDER:

  1. It is easy to accept cultural norms about animals, but they are not made in the image of God. We need to recognize our special creation. We need to recognize our special command to care for the creation, but not to worship anyone or thing but God.

 

PRAYER: Father, I don't understand how the new temple fits in the millennial kingdom. But, I believe that your purposes are good, holy, and right. I trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment