Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, September 8, 2023

QT 9/8/2023 Ezek 36:16-23, Not joining in the spiritual pollution of our land

Ezekiel 36:16–23 (ESV) —

16 The word of the Lord came to me: 17 “Son of man, when the house of Israel lived in their own land, they defiled it by their ways and their deeds. Their ways before me were like the uncleanness of a woman in her menstrual impurity. 18 So I poured out my wrath upon them for the blood that they had shed in the land, for the idols with which they had defiled it. 19 I scattered them among the nations, and they were dispersed through the countries. In accordance with their ways and their deeds I judged them. 20 But when they came to the nations, wherever they came, they profaned my holy name, in that people said of them, ‘These are the people of the Lord, and yet they had to go out of his land.’ 21 But I had concern for my holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations to which they came.

22 “Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord God: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you came. 23 And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them. And the nations will know that I am the Lord, declares the Lord God, when through you I vindicate my holiness before their eyes.

 

NOTE: When I think about these verses in light of the church, I really have to pause. How are we different from Israel? There are some, even many, who pursue holy lives striving to be like Jesus. They put others first. They don't demand their rights, but consider others more important. They sacrifice for others. They love others, even their enemies. They don't lie, cheat others (even the government), or steal (even from their employees). They are not perfect but they are striving to live in holiness. But, most of the physical church, those who claim to be Christians, whatever that might mean, live exactly as the culture and the world around them lives. They pollute: the land, their churches, and everywhere they walk. God's name is profaned among the nations by many of these so-called churches and so-called church members. In the last days, the church will become even  more profane, and will be characterized by the church of Laodicea, the church of apostasy, having some sort of belief but denying the truths as expressed in scripture. We see it already in regard to marriage, sexual immorality, and many other perversions.

 

PONDER:

  1. What am I doing to stand up to this culture?
  2. And, am I standing up and responding in a gentle and respectful manner?

 

PRAYER: Father, give us strength to stand up to a culture of virtue-signalers. Let us hold the truth up and boldly proclaim what we believe and why we believe it (a simple "God said it" is sufficient).

No comments:

Post a Comment