Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, September 4, 2023

QT 9/4/2023 Ezek 34:17-24, Looking to the future days

Ezekiel 34:17–24 (ESV) —

17 “As for you, my flock, thus says the Lord God: Behold, I judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and male goats. 18 Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture, that you must tread down with your feet the rest of your pasture; and to drink of clear water, that you must muddy the rest of the water with your feet? 19 And must my sheep eat what you have trodden with your feet, and drink what you have muddied with your feet?

20 “Therefore, thus says the Lord God to them: Behold, I, I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. 21 Because you push with side and shoulder, and thrust at all the weak with your horns, till you have scattered them abroad, 22 I will rescue my flock; they shall no longer be a prey. And I will judge between sheep and sheep. 23 And I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd. 24 And I, the Lord, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them. I am the Lord; I have spoken.

 

NOTE: Just as God's people were dispersed, so they will be regathered. The literal use of David is not so preposterous as to suggest a metaphorical approach. Although referring to the people as sheep is certainly symbolic, it can also be used in a passage that is primarily literal. While Jesus could be the person. "the servant David" as some commentators suggest, I disagree and believe this is literally the resurrected David who rules over Israel in the Messianic age. We will all serve Jesus as the Lord of Lord and King of Kings, but other servants of God will lead / serve / judge other nation groups. Justice will once again prevail. The world shall be renewed. It shall be as it was originally intended in the garden of Eden. And we shall be satisfied and content. And God will be glorified.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I live realizing that my actions can affect my degree of service to my King?
  2. Or do I not care and choose to life for my own personal gratification?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for your provision. Thank you for ministry. Thank you for the time and opportunity to serve. Help me to use these days wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment