Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

QT 4/10/2024 1 Tim 1:1-2, Being a true disciple

1 Timothy 1:1–2 (RSV) —

1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,

2 To Timothy, my true child in the faith:

Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

 

NOTE: Paul calls Timothy his true child in the faith. There are a couple of reasons for why Paul used "my true child," and both could be true. One, Paul led Timothy to faith in Jesus Christ, becoming his spiritual parent. Two, Timothy showed a very deep and sincere commitment to the faith, unlike some who seemed to hold back in giving Jesus lordship over their whole self. Both ideas are supported in scripture. In Paul's letter to Philippi, the latter reason is clearly seen.

 

Philippians 2:19–22 (RSV) — 19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I may be cheered by news of you. 20 I have no one like him, who will be genuinely anxious for your welfare. 21 They all look after their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But Timothy’s worth you know, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel.

 

But if there are true children, then are those who are not "true," in the sense that they look after their own interests and don't show a genuine concern for the lost or for the church. Timothy was a true disciple and disciple-maker.

 

PONDER:

  1. Have I given over everything to Jesus' lordship?
  2. Are there things of mine (my own interests) that I try to hide from the Lord (a foolish endeavor)?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you for my new life in Christ. Thank you for a spirit to serve you. In and of myself, I am weak. But in you, I have hope and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment