Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

QT 4/23/2024 1 Tim 3:1-7, Leaders are gentle

1 Timothy 3:1–7 (ESV) — 1 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, 5 for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church? 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. 7 Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

 

NOTE: The Greek word for overseer is episkope, and refers to an overseer or church leader; one who "watches over." I think of the term as referring to the elders, pastors, or spiritual leaders of the church, as opposed to the deacons, who minister through serving. There are differences as well with the deacon requirements. I will focus on two of the requirements, "not violent but gentle" and "not quarrelsome." I know some church leaders who always have an opinion of every action. Their language is stern. They are quick to criticize. And they always have a reason why they are right. Those men are not, or should not be elders (church leaders). It is a different person, a man who has been humbled by God, who has learned gentleness, humility, and kindness -- those who are able to teach and share the other characteristics in the above list, those are the ones we want as church leaders. Even though this list is for elders, I think it is a list that every man should aspire to in some degree.

 

PONDER:

  1. In that list, what is the area where I am the weakest?
  2. What am I doing to grow and change to be more like Jesus?

 

PRAYER: Father, I am certainly not young any more, but I can still allow myself to get puffed-up. Forgive me. Help me to see myself as others see me. Give me grace to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment