Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, April 5, 2024

QT 4/5/2024 Ps 92:6-9, The danger of blindness

Psalm 92:6–9 (RSV) —

6 The dull man cannot know,

the stupid cannot understand this:

7 that, though the wicked sprout like grass

and all evildoers flourish,

they are doomed to destruction for ever,

8 but thou, O Lord, art on high for ever.

9 For, lo, thy enemies, O Lord,

for, lo, thy enemies shall perish;

all evildoers shall be scattered.

 

NOTE: Many people today mock the idea of God and scoff at the Bible. My work, before I retired, was as a scientist. I have still not heard one argument, against God or the bible, that stands scrutiny. There is an intentional blindness when it comes to spiritual things. The bible tells us that the evil one (Satan) has blinded the minds of unbelievers so that they cannot see the truth. That is not God's fault but rather a consequence of the rebellion against God's rule that started in the garden of Eden. These are not myths and science has not proved anything in contradiction.

 

For completeness sake, I am an old earther, the word "day" in Genesis is the Hebrew word, yowm, can also be translated as "age" or time period. It does not have to mean 24 hours. The phrase "and there was evening and there was morning" is a Jewish idiom meaning a beginning and an end. Also, I believe God created life; we did not evolve. Why? Because mathematically, there is not enough time in the universe for random genetic mutation to bring about even the simplest cell, the probabilities are too great. If evolution was the means, it had to be guided, also called  theistic evolution (which really is no different from creation and intelligent design).

 

My point is that most humans are blinded by an intense hatred toward God. It is the central point of the story in the garden -- we wanted to be our own gods, choosing good and evil for ourselves. It is not too late to repent and to turn to Jesus. It is not too late for your eyes to be open.

 

Revelation 3:17–18 (RSV) — 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing; not knowing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 Therefore I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, that you may be rich, and white garments to clothe you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see.

 

PONDER:

  1. How is life working when we try to be our own god? Have we figured it out yet?
  2. Do you hate God or love Him? If you love Him, you will obey his commandments.

John 14:23–24 (RSV) — 23 Jesus answered him, “If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 He who does not love me does not keep my words; and the word which you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me.

 

PRAYER: Father, open our eyes to see truth. Open our eyes so that we can experience healing and peace, the peace that only you can give. May we turn from our sin and our way of living, and turn to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment