Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 29, 2024

QT 4/29/2024 1 Tim 4:1-5, Loving God genuinely

1 Timothy 4:1–5 (ESV) — 1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, 2 through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, 3 who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

 

NOTE: A lot could be said about this passage, but it is clearly false teaching that encouraged legalism that Paul is denouncing. The thing about legalism is that it puts the emphasis on the individual, not on the Holy Spirit. Thanksgiving puts the emphasis on God, and not the individual. But we must not swing the pendulum too hard in the other direction either as Lea notes below:

 

Paul’s comments about eating call for three observations. First, Paul normally regarded what a person eats as an indifferent matter so long as the practice does not cause spiritual harm to another believer (1 Cor 8:8–9). Second, partial asceticism may be a helpful experience for some, but it should not be enforced as a means of salvation (Col 2:20–23). Third, Paul was resisting a theologically based asceticism. He would not necessarily oppose an asceticism whose goal was to give physical strength to the body.

[Lea, T. D., & Griffin, H. P. (1992). 1, 2 Timothy, Titus (Vol. 34, p. 130). Broadman & Holman Publishers.]

 

But someone might reply that isn't spiritual discipline a form of legalism? There is a difference between legalism and discipline. I've put some thoughts together over the years.

 

  1. Legalism loves laws, and discipline loves God.
  2. The object of legalism amounts to the “dos and don'ts”, while the object of discipline is God and God alone.
  3. Legalism says, “I will do this thing in order to gain merit before God.” Discipline says, “I love God, I love the Lord Jesus Christ and I will discipline myself to please them.” (where the idea of pleasing recognizes that in no way can we increase the love of God toward us)
  4. Legalism is man-centered; discipline is God-centered.

 

PONDER:

  1. I need to be very careful in my teaching. Am I suggesting legalism in any of the applications I suggest?
  2. Am I confusing my spiritual disciplines with legalism? I don't think so, because I truly enjoy my spiritual disciplines.

 

PRAYER: Father, I pray that as a church we would seek you with all of our heart. I pray we would turn from legalism if it has developed anywhere, and turn to you in love. I pray we would be serious (disciplined) in our walk, and genuinely loving in our relationships with other.

No comments:

Post a Comment