Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

QT 4/16/2024 1 Tim 1:15-17, We are blind to our sinfulness

1 Timothy 1:15–17 (ESV) —15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. 17 To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

 

NOTE: Paul calls himself the foremost (chief) sinner because he persecuted the church (vs 13). He argues that if someone who blaspheme Jesus and persecuted his body (the church) can be saved, then anyone can receive mercy and believe. Paul held the cloaks of those who stoned Stephen. Who knows if he actually participated in any stoning's himself, but he did send many to jail. He destroyed families and reputations. But he really wasn't the chief sinner; we are the chief sinners; I am the chief sinner. Because we all fall so short of God's standard, we are all chief sinners equally separated by an infinite gulf comparing our goodness and righteousness, to God's standard of righteousness.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I actually think I am a good person? I'm wrong
  2. Do I think I don't need a savior because I am not that bad of a person? I'm wrong

 

PRAYER: Father, it seems I pray this same prayer over and over again -- open our eyes so that we may see our sin and our need for a savior. In your mercy, awaken the souls of men on a vast scale one more time -- if it be your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment