Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

QT 4/24/2024 1 Tim 3:8-10, Deacon, a high calling

1 Timothy 3:8–10 (ESV) — 8 Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. 9 They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless.

 

NOTE: The list for deacons is shorter than the list for elders. In Acts, we see the first usage of deacons as they were appointed by the apostles to care for the widows and free up the apostles for prayer and the word of God. There is no restriction on maturity (i.e., recent convert), so it is possible for men of good character, but young in the Lord to serve as deacons. But they are to be tested, probably because there is no restriction on maturity. What would be the test? I think that would require "time," but not as much time as required to be an elder. In general, both positions represent the church body both to other members and to the world as a whole. The church suffers greatly when men are chosen to serve as deacons and elders, and do not meet the biblical requirements.

 

Many people, that I and others have shared the gospel to, have commented on a bad church experience, sometimes involving deacons or elders. The positions are a serious thing and can impact others far more than what we might expect. Consequently, it is even more important to maintain a connection with the head, Jesus, and listen to the word so that the enemy does not deceive us.

 

PONDER:

  1. As a church leader, do I realize the impact I have on others?
  2. Do I regularly meet with God and apply his word to my life?
  3. Am I becoming more like Jesus?

 

PRAYER: Father, I pray that you would protect me from the devil's schemes. I do not want to bring disgrace to the body of Christ. I want to be a positive example and story to those seeking truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment