Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, April 22, 2024

QT 4/22/2024 1 Tim 2:11-15, Trusting God for joy in your marriage

1 Timothy 2:11–15 (ESV) — 11 Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

 

NOTE: I know this is not a popular verse, nor is the teaching for a man to be the spiritual head of the home. Men shudder to lead their home spiritually, and so I understand the woman's response. But, I don't believe we need to apologize for this verse. A man needs to take the lead spiritually. A man needs to love his wife as Christ loved the church, sacrificially giving himself for her. Until men live as God intended men to live, women will struggle with verses like this and I don't blame them, I blame men. I even blame Adam for not stepping in when the serpent deceived Eve. From the text (NIV84), we read,

 

Genesis 3:6 (NIV84) — 6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

 

This is the start of the problem, in the preceding conversation in Genesis, not once did Adam intervene and take leadership. The NIV84 says that he "was with her." He failed as a leader. Eve failed as well. They listened to Satan instead of listening to God. I cannot explain Paul's command to Timothy, and why it is better for this type of relationship/role to work, but I believe by faith that our greatest opportunity for joy is by trusting God's word.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I believe in God's plan for successful marriage relationships, or do I accept the world's plan for successful marriage relationships? Which works better?
  2. Do I believe in a pick and choose philosophy to scripture, denying the authority of some parts of Scripture? And who chooses what is right and wrong?

 

PRAYER: Father, I know this passage makes many angry. It is opposed to the current worldview. I really don't think the current worldview on women has made women happier or healthier. I don't think our marriages are better. We need to trust you. Men need to assume their responsibility for leading in love and servanthood. Father, help us to see and believe that your plan works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment