Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, April 11, 2024

QT 4/11/2024 1 Tim 1:3-7, Testing our teachers

1 Timothy 1:3–7 (RSV) — 3 As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, 4 nor to occupy themselves with myths and endless genealogies which promote speculations rather than the divine training that is in faith; 5 whereas the aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and sincere faith. 6 Certain persons by swerving from these have wandered away into vain discussion, 7 desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make assertions.

 

NOTE: I'm not sure the right word to characterize this passage, but I have certainly seen it. We (students) come upon an insight that is new and interesting, and we think we have found some secret understanding that opens up new avenues into the meaning of a passage. I'm not saying these don't exist. For myself, I have found understanding Jewish law, tradition, and context to be very helpful. Our western myopic view centers around our self, culture, and wants. The passage cautions against deviating too far from orthodox interpretations, particularly when the passage lacks clarity. Speculating on the issues at the time do open up new avenues of understanding, but if it is not clear, then it has to be treated as only a speculation.

 

The other thing that stands out here is that Paul considers this very important. Paul instructs Timothy to stay in Ephesus and address these problematic teachers. Paul is also harsh, "certain persons … swerving … wandered away … vain discussion … without understandings … things about which they make assertions." Wow, that is harsh language toward these individuals who desire to be teachers. I wonder at times if we make it too easy to be a teacher in our church. We don't really test our teachers, and given Paul's harsh words and concern, maybe we should.

 

Lastly, "the aim of our charge is love …." Our reason for taking such a hard stand on teachers is for the good of the body. If we love the sheep, we will want to make sure the sheep are properly taught. We are not trying to embarrass or hurt the wayward teacher. Again, love is the overriding characteristic -- we want them to be better teachers for the good of the body.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I let speculation drive any of my conclusions?
  2. Do I clearly characterize a thought as speculative when I have used that approach?
  3. Am I concerned with teaching that does not support orthodox doctrine?

 

PRAYER: Father, help me to be a student of your word, and a faithful teacher of your truth. Protect me from myself and the culture. I want to teach your word accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment