Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, April 4, 2024

QT 4/4/2024 Ps 91:1-6, Casting fear

Psalm 91:1–6 (RSV) —

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,

who abides in the shadow of the Almighty,

2 will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress;

my God, in whom I trust.”

3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler

and from the deadly pestilence;

4 he will cover you with his pinions,

and under his wings you will find refuge;

his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

5 You will not fear the terror of the night,

nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,

nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

 

NOTE: This passage beautifully addresses the struggle with fear and the importance of trusting in God. It acknowledges that life, even for believers, can feel insecure. However, there are two key aspects to combating fear:

 

  1. Believing That God Cares: It’s not enough to merely say that God is our refuge and fortress. True security comes from knowing that God genuinely cares for us. This goes beyond attending church or acting piously; it’s about having a conversational relationship with God, sharing our needs, and casting our anxieties upon Him.
  2. Knowing the Savior: The more we truly know Jesus, the more fear dissipates. Life doesn’t have to be painful; there is immense joy for those who humbly submit to God’s lordship over their lives.

Ponder:

  1. Honesty and Confronting Fears: Are we hiding behind a mask of stoicism? Honesty demands that we face our fears head-on.
  2. Authentic Prayer: God desires our honesty, not our pretense. Open up to Him in genuine prayer.

Prayer: “Father, there are days when fears creep in. I recognize the need to surrender them to You. My days are blessed, my life is blessed, yet sometimes I fear the unknown. I give these burdens to You; they are too heavy for me to carry alone.”

 

[Note: Microsoft Copilot edited my writing.]

No comments:

Post a Comment