Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

QT 7/31/2024 Prov 20:29, Listening to wisdom from the aged

Proverbs 20:29 (ESV) —

29 The glory of young men is their strength,

but the splendor of old men is their gray hair.

 

NOTE: Grey hair is synonymous with years of life. And years of life is synonymous with wisdom. And wisdom is synonymous with good and bad decisions -- what was learned from them. Nowadays, the aged are not seen in a good light. I think technology has caused us to look askance at the wisdom of the age. Technology did not always change as fast as it has today, but with that change has come this feeling that the elderly do not understand modern life or have any wisdom to offer.

 

My job forced me to keep up with technology and I have always been a geek who could afford to buy the latest techno thing. I know how to program, I know how to build computers, I know how to fix them. I can pretty much fix any Android or Microsoft device. And so, I retain some measure of "acceptability" among younger people. But that is not the splendor of old men, fixing tech items. They understand relationships, work, conflict, and basic life. We need to find ways to draw out the wisdom of the aged or else you are left asking someone who is a stupid as you for advice.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I realize the value of the aged for advice?
  2. Do I understand that while the aged may not understand technology, they do understand things that I don’t?
  3. When was the last time I actually listened, really listened to an older person?

 

PRAYER: Father, thank you that I have been able to keep up with technology. It gives me a platform to engage the young adults of today. I pray as I serve college students with resumes and mock interviews, that I might impart wisdom and a desire to know the God I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment