Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, November 11, 2019

QT 11 Nov 19, Malachi 1:6-7, Giving God our very best


Malachi 1:6–7 (RSV) — 6 “A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If then I am a father, where is my honor? And if I am a master, where is my fear? says the Lord of hosts to you, O priests, who despise my name. You say, ‘How have we despised thy name?’ 7 By offering polluted food upon my altar. And you say, ‘How have we polluted it?’ By thinking that the Lord’s table may be despised.

NOTE: The priests were religious leaders. They mediated between the people and God. They specifically handled the holy items and offered the sacrifices. They also taught the people. But they were not giving their best. They were doing shoddy work. In the military, we had a phrase, "good enough for the government" and unfortunately it permeated much  of the government. But when it came to doing something for a General, it was done very well. That's God's argument (Mal 1:8). We should treat him (God) better than even the most important person we have ever served. God is holy. To do anything for God less than the best is to dishonor his name. As a Christian leader and a teacher, the implication is obvious. I must do the very best job I can do in researching and teaching passages of scripture. I must never skimp. I must never decide that something is "good enough," my work and effort (ultimately to God) must be exemplary.

PRAYER: Lord, help me to do my very best in service to you. Whether it is teaching or leading or managing or interacting in the world, I want to be the very best witness I can for your name. I want to be gentle and kind. I want to be like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment