Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, November 28, 2019

QT 28 Nov 19, 1 Pet 1:12, Who are we really serving?



1 Peter 1:12 (ESV) — It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look.

NOTE: The prophets were trying to figure out what time the salvation of the Lord was coming. It was probably a disappointment to know that they would not see it themselves but they were serving others, who would be born many years after them. Even if it was a disappointment, it was also an incredible honor to serve God. Did they earn that honor? I wonder. While salvation is by grace, the choice of people to serve God seems dependent upon the actions of those selected. Mary was praised. Moses, David, Elijah, and Elisha were honored. They weren't perfect, but they pleased God. In fact, Hebrews 11 is a list of men and women, saved by grace, but serving because of obedience and faith. What are we missing out on based on our lack of obedience? Are we willing to serve even if we are not helping ourselves? I hope I am.

PRAYER: Father, thank you for the obedience of the men and women of faith who have gone before me. I want to have their attitude of service. It was not about them, it was about honoring you in service to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment