Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, November 7, 2019

QT 7 Nov 19, Phil 4:10-13, Do you know the secret of contentment?


Philippians 4:10–13 (ESV) — 10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

NOTE: The latter sentence, Phil 4:13, is quoted quite often. But the context is a little different than the reason for which people often quote it. The context is contentment -- whether well-fed or hungry, in abundance or need, Paul had learned the secret of contentment. We might reply, "but it is easy to be content when there is an abundance." That is not necessarily true. When a person is in abundance, he can get what he needs or want on a whim. But does he really need it? And should he really get it? Those are spiritual questions. And they are difficult, especially when your flesh is telling you that you need that thing or that experience. How do you know whether it is truly a need? You have the funds and it barely makes a dent in your abundance. But is it good for your soul? I think that is harder sometimes than not having to deal with the issue because of a lack of funds.

PRAYER: Father, credit cards give people the illusion of having the funds to satisfy their every desire. But they have not yet learned the secret of contentment--that a relationship with Jesus can satisfy the deepest desires of our souls. Open our eyes to see you and to love you with all of our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment