Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

QT 26 Nov 19, 1 Pet 1:1-2, Saved for obedience


1 Peter 1:1–2 (ESV) —
1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, 2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood:
May grace and peace be multiplied to you.

NOTE: There is a lot of disagreement about the word foreknowledge. Both the Armenian and Calvinist use the verse to argue for their point of view. Using the Hermeneutical rule of common sense reading, it would seem to favor the Armenian view point. But, it would not mean God in his foreknowledge knew we were worthy of salvation, but rather God in his foreknowledge knew we would say "yes" to his offer of salvation that he gives to all men. And based on our choice to believe the truth, he has sanctified us for obedience to Jesus and salvation. We are part of his elect because he saw we would exercise a free will answer of yes to him. That is the straightforward way of viewing foreknowledge. In the Calvinist view, foreknowledge would not be required except to know of our existence. And we would be created to be saved. In contrast to being created to not be saved, as some might argue the discussion of Pharaoh in the book of Romans makes. In the end, I really can't say with any firmness, but I am thankful I am saved for eternal life with God.

PRAYER: Thank you Lord for my salvation. Thank you that you give me life despite the fact that I am not at all worthy of your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment