Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

QT 13 Nov 19, Mal 2:4-5, God is great beyond words


Malachi 2:4–5 (ESV) — 4 So shall you know that I have sent this command to you, that my covenant with Levi may stand, says the Lord of hosts. 5 My covenant with him was one of life and peace, and I gave them to him. It was a covenant of fear, and he feared me. He stood in awe of my name.

NOTE: When he says "his covenant with Levi," this could not be the original Levi since there was no individual covenant with him. The covenant started with Aaron and Moses and the group of Levites who stood with them in opposition to the enemies within the people. The original Levi was not a man of peace. But both Aaron and Moses were known for the their long-suffering. The feared God greatly and especially feared for the people. The took their position with awe that they served the God of the universe. We have lost some of that awe and wonder. We need to rediscover the Holy God, who is "other." We are made in his image and yet he is not like us, he is "other." That is really what holy means. He is both transcendent and he is knowable. The terms do not contradict. You cannot know God fully or even in a small partial manner, and yet you can know God. In fact, as a believer, we are given the mind of Christ, which I assume to be the Holy Spirit's indwelling since my finite mind is too small for even a fraction of the mind of Christ. We should stand in awe or maybe better yet collapse to our knees in awe. We serve and know (in some degree) the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Creator of all things, and God of the universe.

PRAYER: Father, words cannot express what I want to say. The word awe falls far short. It is too small. Nothing can describe your greatness. You are everything and more. Nothing exists that you do not keep existing. Nothing was created that you did not create. In my desire to understand your incredible greatness, I am left with nothing. My words fail, my thoughts fall far short, but my heart senses a small piece of the awe I feel at knowing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment