Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, November 4, 2019

QT 4 Nov 19, Phil 4:2-3, We are called to give up our rights


Philippians 4:2–3 (RSV) — 2 I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. 3 And I ask you also, true yokefellow, help these women, for they have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

NOTE: Paul calls out two women by name in the church to come together in agreement. The issue is not mentioned. This does seem unusual for a letter from Paul. I assume that the disagreement was well known in the church and that the two women were important members of the church. Not all disagreements can be solved. But in this case, Paul seems to feel that it can be solved. In context with the book, this is a perfect illustration of Jesus' example of humility and of Jesus giving up his rights to save us. One or both of these women need to be the mature believer and come together in unity. Does it mean they have to agree? I'm not sure on that point, but certainly the public fighting, or gossiping, or slander--if those were involved-- needs to come to an end.

PRAYER: Father, there is one person at work which I do have great difficulty in showing friendship. I need to be the one to let go of his stupid comments and not reply in kind. I need to be the mature one. The first step is to ignore his attacks, and the second step is to be positive about his contributions. Father, help me today to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment