Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, June 13, 2022

QT 6/13/2022 Psalm 5:1-6, Taking sin seriously

Psalm 5:1–6 (ESV) — 1 Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my groaning. 2 Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray. 3 O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch. 4 For you are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil may not dwell with you. 5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers. 6 You destroy those who speak lies; the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.

 

NOTE: In verses 5-6, David categorizes 4 sinners. The first category is the proud and arrogant, who think they have created their world with their own power. The second category are evildoers. If I was to translate the two Hebrew words, I would say they "make pain." And that is certainly the result of those who ignore God's commands and do the opposite. They listen to their feelings. They act like animals. And they wonder why there is still a hole in the middle of their souls crying to be filled. The third category are those who speak lies. I imagine that some have darkened their hearts so much that they even believe their own lives. They lie to protect themselves, they lie to make themselves look better, and they also lie to hurt others. They take perverse pleasure in seeing their lies seek their revenge. The last category is a group that the Lord not only hates, but abhors: men who plot others destruction and seek blood. Like the liar they deceive too, but they do it not just to hurt someone, but to actually destroy another. They imagine themselves gods with their money and cleverness.

 

God hates evil. In Genesis, God tells Cain that sin was crouching at his door and he must master it. Fortunately, we, who have put our faith in Jesus, have the Holy Spirit within us. The HS reveals to us our sin. Our job is to repent, and take steps of action to change. God, in his power, will fill in the rest. The power is the HS, and it is also found in God's word. But if we are not in God's word on a daily basis, sin will master us bit by bit.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I serious about my sin?
  2. Am I in the word of God daily?
  3. Who do I think I am fooling?

 

PRAYER: Father, continue to change me and recreate me in the power of your Holy Spirit. Forgive me for pride and other sins. Forgive my land for their rebellion. We are destroying ourselves and blindly following evil. Open our eyes while there is still time.

No comments:

Post a Comment