Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, June 23, 2022

QT 6/23/2022 Ps 9:9-10, Knowing the names of God

Psalm 9:9–10 (ESV) — 9 The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. 10 And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.

 

NOTE: Those who have knowledge of God, who know his name, his many names, are those who trust in him. God has many names in scripture because no name can ever fully capture the essence and person of God. He will never forsake those who know his name. How does one go about knowing God's name or names? I suppose one could do a search of them, but that knowledge would be external and academic. The only way to know God and to know his names is to spend time with him. Sunday worship is not enough, nor is another service or two during the week. We can meet with our spouse once or twice a week but that will not allow us to truly know our spouse. We must spend regular time together to intimately know a person. So, spending time every morning and also during the day with God is the path to knowing God. The best time is in the morning, before the distractions of the day. Other times are prayer times, maybe as we are driving to a location. Another thing to do is to memorize a verse each day while standing in line or waiting. Most phones can easily accommodate a widget with a verse of the day. Today I will work on Matt 7:8 "For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." As I meditate on the word and meet with God daily, I come to know God intimately.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I really know God or am I playing church?
  2. Am I committed to churchianity or to a relationship with Jesus?
  3. Is blessing "the middle class American life" or is blessing what comes from a knowledge of God?

 

PRAYER: Thank you Lord for revealing yourself over the years. It does not happen overnight, although the new birth does feel that way, but knowing you is an ever-growing walk into trust in you that provides a perfect peace. Forgive me for allowing the world to draw me away from you. I want to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment