Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

QT 6/14/2022 Ps 5:7-12, Now is the time to look differently

Psalm 5:7–12 (ESV)

7But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,

will enter your house.

I will bow down toward your holy temple

in the fear of you.

8Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness

because of my enemies;

make your way straight before me.

9For there is no truth in their mouth;

their inmost self is destruction;

their throat is an open grave;

they flatter with their tongue.

10Make them bear their guilt, O God;

let them fall by their own counsels;

because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out,

for they have rebelled against you.

11But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;

let them ever sing for joy,

and spread your protection over them,

that those who love your name may exult in you.

12For you bless the righteous, O Lord;

you cover him with favor as with a shield.

 

NOTE: I was reading about protestors at the houses of Supreme Court justices, and the lack of federal enforcement of federal laws, and verses 9-10 appealed to my sense of justice and a desire for revenge (hardly, could one say that I was loving my neighbor). Yet, the world is so evil and corrupt. It is so blinded by hatred and emotion. We have stopped thinking. We have "evolved" to animals. I use the term facetiously, because while I believe we were created, my protagonists think they evolved to a higher being. Apparently, rudeness, crudity, and anger are part of a higher plan of evolution and not peace, kindness, and concern for our fellow man. So, what do we do? First, recognize that evil does not win in the end. For all of its apparent victories, they are temporary and fleeting. Secondly, people are hurting, and their anger is directed at life. They are in rebellion to God and do not want to repent. They are suffering because they can't let go of their sin, hatred, and rebellion to God. We need to pray for them. Third, we have to show them a difference. Yes, it is normal to be angry at injustice and their abuse of our freedoms, but somehow (by the Holy Spirit's power), we need to be different. Our mission is the gospel, not the betterment of this temporal life. Paul and all the disciples of the first century never fought Nero or Claudius or the Roman government. They focused on spreading the gospel message.

 

PONDER:

  1. What is my mission here on earth?
  2. Is it to make my life better or is it share the message Jesus gave us?

 

PRAYER: Father, we need to be different as believers in our Savior. Now is the best time (in a long time) to look different. The enemy is "all-in" and we still can be different and show that difference to those around us. Give us strength and grace to live differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment