Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Thursday, June 16, 2022

QT 6/16/2022 Psalm 6:6-10, Life is painful because we rebelled

Psalm 6:6–10 (ESV)

6I am weary with my moaning;

every night I flood my bed with tears;

I drench my couch with my weeping.

7My eye wastes away because of grief;

it grows weak because of all my foes.

8Depart from me, all you workers of evil,

for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.

9The Lord has heard my plea;

the Lord accepts my prayer.

10All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled;

they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.

 

NOTE: I love the language of the psalms -- they are true reflections of the emotions of the author. Theologically, they would not be my source of truth, but emotionally they show the heart of a true worshipper. There are times in life when the pain is so great that verses 6-7 feel like David had gone through the same thing. Sometimes it is our own sin, sometimes it is evil and evil persons, and sometimes it is just life. We rebelled against God in the garden. We decided to be our own god and live life the way we want it. Should we be surprised life is not the way God intended it to be? Evil, pain, tragedy are not evidences that there is no God, but rather they are the evidences of our rebellion from God. He has returned to earth in the human-God frame of Jesus and has given us another choice, to repent and believer, or to continue in the rebellion. Someday the world will be remade and restored, and these painful moments will be no more. But for now they only remind us of our need for God as our King and ruler.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I rail against God when it is I who rebelled?
  2. Do I tell people that God has not given me any reason to believe he exists when I have never truly investigated Jesus' life and claims?

 

PRAYER: Father, take away the blinders that the evil one uses to prevent us from seeing the truth and changing. Our own evil hearts put those blinders on. May we not resist your effort to open our eyes to truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment