Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

QT 5/10/2023 James 1:13-15, Our struggle with sin

James 1:13–15 (ESV) —

13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

 

NOTE: I think James is addressing (a number of things actually) the difference between a trial and a temptation. God never tempts us to sin, that is not a trial that he uses. Jesus' prayer "lead us not into temptation" is a common figure of speech called a litotes where a positive idea is expressed by negating the contrary. It can be more easily remembered than the straight forward idea of "protect us from temptation." God does have a role there (protection from sin), but his withdrawal of protection, as was the case in certain times of David's life, is not a temptation or trial but a direct result of our own sin. We allow desire to conceive and then give birth to sin, and if not addressed could result in physical death (and spiritual death to those who don't know God). The point is not to confuse trial with temptation. If a trial causes us get angry or rage against another, that is our sin. And anger happens when we don't get what we want and continue to dwell on the fact until we explode in anger and rage. Yes, the trial is to help us to persevere. But the temptation is our desire to avoid the lessons God may be teaching. We are the reason for our sin, not God.

 

PONDER:

  1. Do I blame God for things that are my fault and my sin?

 

PRAYER: Father, open my eyes to see my sin. Give me strength during those times when I am weak and trials have taken away my strength. I am weak, and my flesh takes advantage of my weakness to tempt me. Help me to recognize those times and turn to you in prayer for strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment