Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

QT 5/3/2023 2 Sam 24:1-9, Remembering that God is involved in everything

2 Samuel 24:1–4,9 (ESV) —

1 Again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, number Israel and Judah.” 2 So the king said to Joab, the commander of the army, who was with him, “Go through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, and number the people, that I may know the number of the people.” 3 But Joab said to the king, “May the Lord your God add to the people a hundred times as many as they are, while the eyes of my lord the king still see it, but why does my lord the king delight in this thing?” 4 But the king’s word prevailed against Joab and the commanders of the army. So Joab and the commanders of the army went out from the presence of the king to number the people of Israel. … 9 And Joab gave the sum of the numbering of the people to the king: in Israel there were 800,000 valiant men who drew the sword, and the men of Judah were 500,000.

 

NOTE: "Again" hearkens back to the action of the Israelites against the Gibeonites (21:1-14). There is sin in Israel and God is judging the sin. Early in 1 Kings, there is a brief mention of the nation sacrificing on the high places, but it is not clear if that is the sin or not. Considering that David's reign was a time of great blessing, my thought is that Israel was living as if God did not matter. In their wealth and riches they had forgotten God. This is a common theme in scripture. The "Census story" is also told in 1 Chron 21:1ff. There it says that "Satan incited" David. It is not a contradiction and is best understood from the book of Job. In Job, God gives Satan permission to inflict David (first with catastrophes and then with physical infirmities). Satan performs the actions. But in Job 2:3 (ESV), God says "He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason," meaning that God takes responsibility for the actions ("me (God) against him (Job)). And God gives Satan more credit than is his due, because after chapter 3, Satan is never mention in the context of what happened. He was actually only a tool. In Chapters 38-42, God takes full responsibility, and we find that God's actions were not capricious (or emotionally incited). In fact, we find that although God commended Job's integrity previously, Job did in fact have two major faults -- He depended on his own knowledge and his own strength. In characteristic Jewish chiastic fashion, Joab at the end repeats those very things (in reverse order):

 

Job 42:1–6 (ESV) —

1 Then Job answered the Lord and said:

2 “I know that you can do all things,

and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.

3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’

Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,

things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.

4 ‘Hear, and I will speak;

I will question you, and you make it known to me.’

5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,

but now my eye sees you;

6 therefore I despise myself,

and repent in dust and ashes.”

 

So whether it is Satan incited or directly from God, it is the same thing (note that in Job 1, it is God who brings up Job's name, not Satan). God has allowed something for his reason and purpose. For the believer, and only the believer, Rom 8:28 is our promise.

 

Romans 8:28 (ESV) — 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

 

Going back to where we started, what is the cause? We don't know. But we do know and believe that God knows what he is doing and our response is repentance and trust.

 

PONDER:

  1. Am I forgetting God?
  2. Is life good, and am I so busy with the good life that I have forgotten that I have been saved by grace, and that I have a mission and purpose here?

 

PRAYER: Father, I always want to be thankful for everything I undeservedly have. And I want to make sure that I am committed to being a witness by loving and sharing the gospel, and by making disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment