Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, May 26, 2023

QT 5/26/2023 James 5:1-6, Warning to the rich

James 5:1–6 (ESV) —

1 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. 2 Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. 4 Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. 5 You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. 6 You have condemned and murdered the righteous person. He does not resist you.

 

NOTE: This is a hard message to the rich. The focus seems to be on people who are hoarding their money, withholding money from others, dishonest, and people who have lived in luxury and self-indulgence. I have saved money, but just what is needed for retirement. I have never withheld money from someone who did work from me. I have never (that I can think of) been dishonest. I've given my money to missionaries, the church, and the poor--money that I could have used to buy homes or cars or luxuries; money that others would say that I've given my "tithe" and therefore is my money. I have never agreed with that philosophy. I have given as God has laid on my heart. I can honestly say that I have been faithful in what God has given. Undeserving but faithful.

 

PONDER:

  1. As my income drops, I will be challenged in the way I live and the way I give. Will I continue to trust God for the amount, not an artificial percentage to suave my conscience?

 

PRAYER: Father, you have given so much. And I thank you for the gift of giving. Help me to live with the same attitude in these years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment