Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Friday, May 19, 2023

QT 5/19/2023 James 3:13-18, Spiritually wise men have a godly meekness

James 3:13–18 (ESV) —

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. 17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. 18 And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

 

NOTE: In the first verse of the chapter, James addressed teachers. Now James is addressing the leaders, the spiritually mature leaders of the church. True spiritual wisdom is shown in meekness. The opposite is jealously and selfish ambition, and that wisdom is of the world (earthly) and demonic. When pride and power are at play, the results are not pretty. A true spiritual man's wisdom will be pure, peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial, and sincere.

 

PONDER:

  1. How am I doing in my spiritual wisdom?
  2. How do I address people?
  3. Am I jealous and selfishly ambitious, or am I meek?

 

PRAYER: Father, there are many opportunities to test this in the coming days. When someone asks what I do, will I say I'm retired and let it go at that, or will I have to try to fit in all my accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment