Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, May 15, 2023

QT 5/15/2023 James 1:26-27, Our faith should be noticeable in a good way through our life

James 1:26–27 (ESV) —

26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless. 27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

 

NOTE: Usually, "religion" is not a word that I like. It perverts true faith because it seems focused on externalities and not on the heart. The first religion in the world was when Adam told Eve to "not touch the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, or she would die." God did not say anything about touching, only eating the fruit. Adam added to God's word in the same way religion adds externalities to truth, sometimes obscuring truth.

 

There are two words used here; for religious (threskos) and religion (threskeia). The first word means fearing or worshipping God, and to tremble. The second word means religious worship, especially the external, ceremonies and religious discipline.

 

James does not focus on the external, but on actions that express the internal heart of a person. Jesus himself said that it is not what goes into the stomach but what comes out of the mouth that defiles a man. Bridling the tongue means to keep it in check. It means to be careful what you say (and type). Visiting orphans and widows shows love not compulsion. There is nothing that orphans and widows can give. Keeping oneself unstained from the world  is staying true to the word of God and not following the corrupting culture of the world.

 

PONDER:

  1. Does my faith consist of externalities, or is it a hidden change that has come within my heart?

 

PRAYER: Father, sometimes I wonder if I do bridle my tongue (or at least my e-mail responses). Forgive me for reacting and praying or waiting to respond. Give me grace and mercy that the things I say are not taken in the wrong spirit and hurt or offend another. Have mercy I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment