Notice on a slight format change:

Except for July 2012, these are mostly a collection of current devotional notes.

July 2012 is a re-write of old quiet times. My second child was born Nov 11, 1987 with multiple birth defects. I've been re-reading my QT notes from that time in my life, and have included them here. They cover the time before the birth and the few years immediately after the birth. They are tagged "historical." I added new insights and labeled them: ((TODAY, dd mmm yy)).

Monday, May 1, 2023

QT 5/1/2023 2 Sam 23:8-12, Mighty Men for God

2 Samuel 23:8–12 (ESV) —

8 These are the names of the mighty men whom David had: Josheb-basshebeth a Tahchemonite; he was chief of the three. He wielded his spear against eight hundred whom he killed at one time.

9 And next to him among the three mighty men was Eleazar the son of Dodo, son of Ahohi. He was with David when they defied the Philistines who were gathered there for battle, and the men of Israel withdrew. 10 He rose and struck down the Philistines until his hand was weary, and his hand clung to the sword. And the Lord brought about a great victory that day, and the men returned after him only to strip the slain.

11 And next to him was Shammah, the son of Agee the Hararite. The Philistines gathered together at Lehi, where there was a plot of ground full of lentils, and the men fled from the Philistines. 12 But he took his stand in the midst of the plot and defended it and struck down the Philistines, and the Lord worked a great victory.

 

NOTE: Here are the three most famous warriors for David, Josheb-basshebeth, Eleazar son of Dodo, and Shammah son of Agee. There are a number of things to observe about these men. First, they are not mentioned by name anywhere else in the history of David. They were servants, not attention seekers. They did not use their skills for their vain glory. They were content to serve God in the service of David. Secondly, they were skilled in their art. They achieved some incredible successes. But coupled with their skill in the art of combat is the third point, in two of the three stories, their physical success is followed by the phrase "the Lord brought about a great victory." They were good and trained to be good, but they did not depend upon that. They trusted in God because they believed they were fighting for a greater good.

 

Obscure, skilled, and faithful to God. It sounds like the perfect combination for a man of God. We need to be humble. We need to study ourselves to be skilled in our art. We need to trust God that it is he who gives the victory, not our skill or our abilities.

 

PONDER:

  1. How am I doing at being humble?
  2. How am I doing at improving my skills and abilities?
  3. How am I doing at trusting God?

 

PRAYER: Father, I can do better in all three areas. As my job changes in retirement, I need to reconsider the skills that I will need to develop -- how can I share my faith better? What can I do that gives me those opportunities? Lead me and guide me in the changes you have set out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment